Monday, July 6, 2009

series of goodbyes


"You know, I feel all my life has been a series of departures".... (from Reading Lolita in Tehran)
Long before I realized that this was a quote from a book, and that someone else has felt this way...I was feeling exactly this way. I think There have been more goodbyes than anything. I don't even want to begin counting all my goodbyes, and I hate them. But this past weekend, while my boys and their families were packing up and giving hugs and kisses goodbyes I was reminded again about how much more firmly in my mind the goodbyes stick than the hellos.
All of a sudden the time with friends, or family or a trip is over. And, Oh Rats, I still needed to herd everyone together to get that picture. I am told that I always wait until the last minute to do the family picture. You know the one: 7 adults, 4 boys under 5 and 2 dogs scrunched together in front of the camera. Smile, keep your eyes open, hold still, look at the camera, blah blah blah. What's more I usually do it like this: "You can't go yet! We have to do a picture. Come on everyone. Stand here together..." It gets old, but I'm addicted to those moments. It definitely is a delaying tactic. No one is fooled either.
Then, hustle, hurry, load the kids, don't forget anything and out the door they go. The silence back on the inside is overwhelming.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ron & Sue,
We haven't left a comment before so I hope this works! It sounds like you had some fun family time just recently...very precious time! :)
We've been enjoying our summer and we're looking forward to some camping time with you later this month! We'll have to connect later on food and so on. Oh yes, we wanted to check, we are planning to take our bikes along??
Take care!
Love,
Dave & Anita