Thursday, December 14, 2006

Knowing your stuff



So I got to babysit "the boys" today. Pretty easy stuff compared to actual parenthood. All I had to do was play! And interpret 2 year old talk. And keep the baby out of the line of fire. And know where the lunch was. That's a breeze compared to 24/7 of parenthood. I didn't even worry if the 2 year old actually picked up his toys like his parents wanted. Or if he ate his pudding before his sandwich. (He didn't really!) I'm the grandma! Now, granted I'm not giving these boys a blank check... only lots of hugs, kisses and playtime. This is much simpler than raising them to be responsible God powered adults! Their parents are already doing that job. Well, too, I might add. This whole thing reminds me of camping with my nephew. He didn't like the meal I'd fixed. But, not to worry. I didn't make him sit at the table until it was gone like I might have with my own kids. I sent him off. My kids were apalled at the "unfairness" of it. But my reasoning was that in the week that he was with us I wasn't going to change his eating habits anyway. Besides. We only had a limited amount and kind of food. He'd eat when he was hungry. He'd eat what we had just like they were. That was fine with me! So. I'm off into this new grandma thing with great enthusiasm. And by the way let me just say that this child is extremely bright! (really!) At the age of two he can identify every single one of the tools in his tool box. Wrench. Hammer. Screwdriver. Pliers. Saw. Screws. Nail. And exactly what they're all used for. Wow! Don't you think that's impressive.

No comments: