Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Passing it on..


Things I say without thinking: (and wish I had a better alternative for) Have a good day. How are you? It's not fair. It's not my fault. I told you so...

Things my mother told me: If everyone else was jumping off a bridge would you? Be careful, your face might freeze like that. (usually a frown) Don't put in writing what you would be ashamed for your mother to hear. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. Marry in haste, repent at leisure.(in commenting about quick romance)

Things my father told me: Stand up straight, put your shoulders back or you'll grow up stooped. (thoughts on posture) Because I said so... (when asked why) Don't do as I do, do as I say. (when questioned about reasons) If I say jump you can only ask 'how high'. (when obedience was mandatory) Chew with your mouth closed. Don't hold your fork like a shovel. If your getting the milk for free why buy the cow? ( a reference to why you should not live together) If you don't work, you don't eat. (hard labor required) Who is his father/mother? (when being told about new friends at school)

Things my grandfather told me: Did you look in the refrigerator? (when hunting for a lost item) Kezhundit.(after every sneeze) It will get better before you get married. (to spilled blood)

Anything you ever wanted can be found in the city. (commenting on the wonders of living in a large city, i.e. Chicago)


No doubt I've used some or parts of all of these pithy pieces of advice on my own kids. They'll probabably pass them on to theirs!

1 comment:

Mr.Brian said...

Sounds like saying i grew up with also.
Hmmm you think it is the age????