Wednesday, January 2, 2008

My January Word




I thought breaking down the year into 12 bite size pieces (one a month) might be interesting. I thought I would do that with a one word summary of what I want my whole year to be like...12 x over. A sort of resolution only with a focus on a general characteristic that needs to grow in me. While I can work on this I suppose, I am not very good about keeping my resolutions anyway. So I thought maybe by looking at how God can work from my inside out I might get somewhere. Or maybe it will just be an interesting word study. Anyway! My January focus:

Courage.

The dictionary defines it: strength of mind to carry on in spite of danger It is bravery, courageousness, daring, dauntlessness, doughtiness, fearlessness, gallantry, greatheartedness, guts, hardihood, heart, heroism, intrepidity, intrepidness, nerve, stoutness, valor

All of that just to look at how God can well up courage in me when I would run the other way. He tells me 'have courage.' 'Be courageous' 'Be of good courage', 'take courage', 'with full courage' But it comes from putting trust in the right places (HIM), despite outward circumstances, after waiting the full measure of time, with support from those of like mind, despite my feelings.

"Be Strong and Courageous"(Josh 1:7,18,23:6,)
"Whether the land is rich or poor and whether there are trees in it or not, be of good courage and bring some fruit of the land" (Num. 13:20)
"Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them for it is the Lord your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you." (Duet 31:6,7,23. Moses to Joshua)
"For we walk by faith, not by sight. Yes, we are of good courage..." (2 Cor 5:7-8)


I need courage to:
Do things out of my comfort zone.
to wait
to be open
To change
To share my faith
To grow old
To face an evil world and my doubts.

So walk with me this month in courage. Tell me your stories.


4 comments:

Amy A. said...

I thought you were very courageous this morning working that treadmill!

I love this.

Anonymous said...

One of my favorite quotes is about courage. "Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway." ~John Wayne

Anonymous said...

i needed to read this tonight after the day i had today, it's good to take courage in the One who provides all things for us. i need to remember that no news is "new" news to Him, that He loves, cares for, and knows what is best for his children. i need to have faith and courage through the things in life that come my way. we serve a good God through valleys and mountaintops, through great celebrations and even through surgeries.....

Anonymous said...

I remember when we were afraid to share or witness, you came up with the statement'"what are we scared of, hell #2". I always took that to mean, when God nudges there is nothing to fear. I have found Sue that the lack of courage on my part was a lack of trust. I also found that I didn't want to fail, I didn't want to be embarrassed, I didn't want to look silly, I didnt want to give up MY time for what I wanted to do. Notice how many times that personal pronoun would push our Gods' leadings for an exciting life. I don't know about the Haiti trip but go back to beginning, what did you think and feel then. I just learn how to do this blog thing of yours. Enjoy it very much. It will be fun to see all your grandchildren at Christmas in years to come. come. Saddle up, it will be a great experience even if you may fall off the horse!!!