Monday, May 19, 2008

Prince Caspian


Ok. I can't help it. I have to give my 2 cents worth about this movie. I see that it was at the top of the box office for the weekend. Reviews that I've seen were mixed and my feelings about the movie in general were mixed as well. Most of you know I am a huge fan of the Chronicles series and generally, I like my movies to be like books that I like as well as this series. I was bound to be disappointed. Overall, though, I really liked the movie. The action and cinematography (now there's a word I didn't think would ever come out of my mouth) were really great. It was such a fun movie to watch. It was way more action packed than the book ever was. There in lies some of its problems. It took out a lot of the faith journey that the Pevensie's/Narnians were on. Very little was ever seen of Aslan and his role was crucial in the book. So I didn't think they did a very good job of developing the spiritual aspects of the story.
Scenes that I hated were the little crush that they had Susan develop with Caspian (Oh My, can anyone say "really cheesy") and they definitely got it wrong when they cast Peter and Caspian as rivals to the throne. On the other hand, I loved Miraz. He was exactly as evil as I would have pictured him. Very believable. Why is it easier to develop the evil than to get the good/God stuff right?
Edmund was wonderful and he had some of the best one liners in the whole movie. The fight scenes were fantastic. Even the short appearance of Aslan was very well done.

Since Ron didn't get to see this with me the first time, I think I might actually go again and not really mind it at all. I know I'll notice things I didn't see the first time. But be sure to go. Don't read the book first if you haven't. but don't let the movie put you off from doing that. I give it 3.5 stars out of 5!

No comments: