Wednesday, July 23, 2008

All things Sweet Corn

Hey the Sweet Corn is coming on! I have already frozen 4 quarts. I bought 12 ears at the Lincoln Farmer's Market for $4 a doz. I was pretty disappointed with it because the kernels were so full and hard. I just cooked it, cut it off the ear and put it in the freezer. It will taste ok this winter. I bought 12 ears from the Farmer's market here in OC for $3. Now that was fabulous stuff. I could make myself sick on it. Literally. But we between the two of us we ate 4 ears and I froze the rest. That will be even better this winter. I think I'll be able to get plenty of corn in the freezer before the season is over. I had stopped doing that because it's so much work, and hey, you can just go down to the grocery store and buy some frozen stuff if you want. But Ive had sticker shock lately, so I think I'll do a bit of this from now on. I have fresh green beans for supper too. I should get a couple of meals out of them! But the best of the summer time meals is this: fresh sweet corn with a bacon lettuce and fresh tomato sandwich. Wow!


But now for a test. Those of you from the midwest should be used to looking at corn corn and more corn everywhere you look. It's high priced stuff these days. But can you tell the difference between the regular old field corn (used to feed livestock and make ethanol) and that yummy stuff we can eat right off the cob-the sweet corn? And I don't mean by looking at the ears. I mean as you drive by the fields of it, can you tell what you're looking at? If you were paying attention (see yesterday's post) while you were growing up, you should know the answer to this one! I suppose you shouldn't need to worry if you can't tell the difference since i doubt any of you will be hiking into a field to pick your own ears, but this is an important point if you do!
So let's hear your answers!

1 comment:

Mr.Brian said...

No I can not tell them apart,and by looking at your precious post I still can not tell.Good thing I just go buy it already picked.
Are you going to postt an answer????
And what is all the chain saw noise over there????