Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Pikes Peak or Bust


We joined the million or so who visit Pike's Peak every year. We drove up the 14,000+ mountain on just under a half tank of gas. (that will be problematic later on) When we stopped and paid for our ticket they told us 37 degrees and 40-50 mph winds at the top. It was 80 where we were sitting. The drive up was alternately beautiful and terrifying. My fear of heights intensified with every mile. I was in the grip of abject terror by the time I put my feet out on the ground again. Plus I definitely was feeling the effects of altitude sickness. Nausea compounded by the greasy smell of donuts "made fresh every day" on top of the mountain, and light headed ness from lack of oxygen. Ick. There were a gazillion people on top doing the touristy thing...buying souvineers. Bother. It was not peaceful up there that's for sure. But the view was stunning. Spent about a half an hour or so up there and then did the dizzying ride back down. The problem was our gas was almost gone. We couldn't stop to take pictures. I swear we made it on fumes. That was almost as scary as the ride. Pictures later. I promise

No comments: