Saturday, September 6, 2008

Rocky Mountain National Park


Our intentions were good. We were going to watch the sunrise in the park, which meant we were going to leave at 4:00 or so. But our horseback ride the day before killed all of us off. (Ron was walking like he was in pain all day. Lauren was black and blue all over) Anyway, we didn’t arrive until 7:30 and the sun was already well up. But the advantage to being early was that the animals were all still out and doing their thing. My wish list included Elk. Bear. Moose. Mountain Lion (from a distance) Reality: Elk. Moose. Coyote. Birds. Ground squirrels. Oh well, can’t see all that in Iowa. We drove a big loop at the park getting up to 12,100 ft with 38 degrees and 40 mph winds. Winter on top! Once around the corner of some mountain it started to warm up and we left the winds behind. We went to Bear Lake for our ‘Christmas picture’ photo op. We hiked 1.1 miles after that and up about 400 ft. Well, Lynn and I did anyway. But ask me if it was worth the effort?! Was it ever! Dream Lake lived up to its name. Words fail me here, because it was beautiful beyond my words! Good thing I have pictures. That’s what Ron told me too. Picnic, and the tourist thing at Estes Park, Big Thompson Canyon, a roadside stand,…I’m exhausted just remembering it all. Good night from Colorado!

No comments: