Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Birthday Presents



I'm of a mind these days to let a birthday pass as unnoticed as possible. No fanfare or noise please. I'd really like to forget that I'm getting any older, I guess. Anyway, I get to see the kids this weekend. Amy was telling me on the phone that they had gotten me a present and I'd be getting it this weekend. Since it was my birthday I tried to get her to tell me what it was. "What is it?" I asked. "You'll have to wait and see" she told me. "But it's my birthday. You have to tell me." Well, of course she wouldn't budge,though I don't know why. How could it hurt to just know? Anyway, I told her I'd ask Kristin. She was a pushover when it came to telling secrets about presents! She's the one who will buy a Christmas present and then practically beg to tell you what it is. So I called Kristin. "Kristin, tell me what you got me for my birthday." I tell her.


"I can't" she answers. "What do you mean? You always tell when asked." "Yes, but in this case I have to live wth your son and the rest of the family. I don't think that would be so good if I told you." she tells me. After a bit she says, "Well, I can give you a hint. It's a themed present." I ask, "What does that mean? That's not a clue." Even with a little more cajoling, she won't tell me. In a little while Nathan calls. I say to him, "So, Kristin told me what you got me for my birthday. Wow! Thanks!" I could almost feel Nathan giving Kristin the look. Then he asked, "Well, what did we get you?" "A themed present" I tell him. And the jig is up. So I don't know.I'm sure it's not a new chair. Or that external hard drive I've been thinking about. Themed must mean a book, I think. Don't you love birthdays? No matter what your age!

No comments: