Friday, November 28, 2008

St. Louis Botannical Gardens


Day 2 in St. Louis
I am almost done with book number 1, you know, the one I always haul along with me for reading as someone else drives, or for that moment when I'm particularly bored. This time it's because I've had to keep my head buried in it so as not to be terrified by the traffic and the driving in it. Eeeek. Enough said there. I am still alive to report on the day's activities.
We headed to the St. Louis Botannical gardens. I have often moaned about the colorless days of November, but this was one splendid color filled day! It was warm (50's) enough to just have on a sweatshirt as we enjoyed the grounds of the garden. The flower picture in the center is of a camilla. It takes a full year for them to bloom. They grow primarily in asia, i.e. China and because of the amount of time for them to bloom they are compared to a woman waiting for the birth of a son. The Chinese women avoid these flowers. But let me tell you they are sensationally beautiful. There were hundreds of them in pinks, and reds, and salmons and whites. It was a wonderful day to do this and we avoided all the mall crowds and spending too much money for things our family don't really want anyway!




1 comment:

Lady L said...

What a splendid way to spend your day!