Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Directional terminology and other such things

I stopped to do an errand uptown tonight. I only had a vague idea of where the store might be and when I found it there was a sign on the door that said "We have moved 2 doors down". So I walked down the street and into a realty office. (I was hunting for the Pet store) I was very confused when she told me yes it probably was 2 doors...just go the other direction, north, not south. Well. Someone has used the wrong term then. The sign should have read " We have moved 2 doors up" After all, North is up. South is down. Don't ask about east and west that doesn't fit here. So speaking of uptown-what makes it UPTOWN and not DOWNTOWN? I think Ill 'Google' that and see if I can get some answers.....

OK, I'm back: The difference between formal and informal. (from just language blog)
Uptown is classier and more expensive and more white-collar businesses; downtown is a little grittier and more active and poorer and where the real action happens. (From Yahoo)

And here's a directional term I've heard several times since moving to Dutch country that I've never heard anywhere else except in a single Dutch friend who is from this area originally. "I am going to go be by my mom's (sister's, cousin, dad's etc) this weekend." What in the world kind of sentence is that? Either you're going to be WITH your mom, or going TO your mom's but "be by" makes me think you're going to stand outside the house for the weekend. It's just not right.
Amazing what difference can be had by the use of a mere preposition!

1 comment:

Mr.Brian said...

Arte you making fun of how us Dutch talk????I think there are many,many things we say that are strange to others but not to us Hollanders.
What about "quick a minute".
I have to go to town quick a minute. That one even gets to me,unless I use it and am unaware of it.
Let's hear some more dutch expressions that I may not be aware of.I like this.
Ohhhh who can forget maint (SP) for may not.