Tuesday, April 14, 2009

No regrets

My cousin Carolyn died the day before Easter.
Growing up we were close. You know, sharing secrets as girls, staying overnight with each other, ignoring the boys together....After we were married our lives went in very different directions and I rarely saw her, I met her children only when they were quite little. She developed lung cancer and fought it for five years. But then in January the diagnosis was grim. So it was my brother Tom who called after we'd heard that news, and said, Let's go. We need to visit her. I responded by saying, 'well, I was thinking of sending her a card'. But I knew he was right, so we went together. I'm so glad I did. I would have been so mad at myself if I hadn't made the time to connect with her again. Sorrow and sadness and hard moments can be so important. I wouldn't have wanted anything less. I so appreciate my brother taking the time to do this....
No regrets this time.

No comments: