Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Filling in empty spaces


So have you ever had long stretches when there is absolutely nothing to do but sit with yourself and think? No TV, Radio, books or other distractions to occupy the moment, and what's more, no way you're likely to get to them so you're literally stuckwith yourself! I had one of those moments today. 45 full minutes of being in a small space, eyes closed, wide awake, all alone, have to think about something other than what's going on around me, time. Options: take a nap (in a loud confined space. Not likely) Think. Guess I'll have to try that one out. I made lists. Alphabetical too. First, recipes. I made a mental, alphabetical list of pies and the recipes that go along with them. I got through about G. (Can you think of a pie that starts with F?) After giving up on that absurd list I made a list of all the relatives on my side of the family including cousins, aunts, uncles and grandparents to the 5th generation. Don't forget alphabetical. (I'm an amatuer geneologist. That was too easy) My mind began to muddle after this, my hand was falling asleep, my neck was beginning to ache, and I started wiggling a bit. That wasn't good because it increased my time in my empty space. Phooey. Next I tried out naming all the books of the Bible in order. Once I get to those minor prophets I have trouble. I always miss someone and come up short at the end. Oh bother.
Needless, to say, I didn't fall asleep though I heartily wished for it. I must say this isn't my favorite way of getting out of work and I don't hope for another round of this any time soon. But offer me some suggestions for my next enforced quiet time alone session! Thanks.

3 comments:

Mr.Brian said...

Let's see..... You could try matching last names of people A-Z and there library card number.You could name kinds of animals. Ape Bear cat dog..list people who give you dumb ideas and award a prize to them.
I dare bet Becky will have some crazy ideas. We will wait and see.

Anonymous said...

When I'm in that situation I sing praise and worship songs to myself and pray myself through it. Trying to remember Bible verses is good too! Being alone with God!

Beckyb said...

Who are you kidding- I'm just praying for moments like those - laying on my back, quiet, can't do anything- sounds heavenly!!!! :) And anyway, I think I would have been planning my next blogging posts for at least a good week out!!