Thursday, February 1, 2007

Diet and exercise...oh yeah, and HDL, waist size, and 10,000 steps a day

So, should I give up or keep on going. Everyday "they" keep adding new things to my weight loss program. Today I hear that keeping healthy is indeed diet and exercise but I also have to have a waist size that's smaller than 40"...oh, wait maybe that was 20"; an HDL score of 50 or higher (that's the good cholesterol I'm thinking) and to be sure I walk at least 10,000 steps. Every single day. (the equivalent of 5 miles) I got out my three step counters and wore them all. Can't be too careful about these things. At the end of the day, They all came up with different numbers none of which totalled 10,000. I'm thinking I can add them all together and I'll get the right number. (I never was very good at math) Regardless, my problem seems to be .. are you all ready for this?... aging! I don't see so good; my husband swears I don't hear him anymore; my arm doesn't work right; I snap crackle and pop in places that no cereal has ever been before. My father in law used to Praise the Lord every single day that he could get up out of bed and enjoy whatever the day offered. And he was crippled so bad he'd been on disability for ten years by the time I knew him. I'm thinking that's the route I'll go. Praise the Lord for each day that I feel well enough to get up and meet the day. Even the young physical therapist that I had after my surgery reminded me that doctors can only do so much. A lot of what they do is managing the aging process. They can't stop it! Imagine that!

2 comments:

Beckyb said...

Good way to think there Libgran - POSITIVE - I didn't detect even a hint of complaining - good girl!!

Mr.Brian said...

Your father in law sounds like a great man.
If only we all had such a posative attitude and no complaints.
I know I need to work on that one myself.