Tuesday, April 10, 2007

War on the home front


I am reading these days from "Searching for God knows What" by Donald Miller. I have to read with pen in hand anymore. There is so much I don't want to forget, and I am so prone to forgetting. I want to wrap my life around a God who is more than some sort of genie who will grant wishes if I can only figure out how to rub the bottle correctly. He is so much bigger than anything I can possibly imagine and I have only begun to scratch the surface of who He is! I want to have a faith that absolutely makes a difference instead of just moving through days. Miller describes a child born after the Chernobyl accident. He describes his grotesqueness and his constant pain. Then he compares us to this child, disfigured and in pain. Though we were not meant to be this way, He says we are incomplete creatures outside the companionship of God and our souls have been distorted and ravaged. We are the wreckage of a war, a kind of Hiroshima, a kind of Chernobyl with souls distorted like the children of Chernobyl. It was the fall that drew us into the war and because of that we miss understanding the love of God and his voice and his presence and the freedom that that brings to love other people. I am so struck by the truth of this that I have to look around me and wonder at what I think is important these days...things.. instead of people. Oh my.

1 comment:

Beckyb said...

I am missing your wisdom so I'm so glad you blog!!! I am sure you are getting a lot done at work since I'm not there to bug you!!! I'll get some pictures one of these days - all it's doing is raining right now!!!