Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Playing until I'm 87


I've always loved to play! One of my biggest regrets is that I was never able to be involved in sports when I was a girl. In 'those days' in Illinois, girls were consigned to being cheerleaders. There were no school sports for girls. No baseball, softball, track, basketball, volleyball. Nothing. I always thought I missed out on a lot. I doubt that I would have been too good at anything if I'd been able to play. I did get to play a year on a girls' softball league in a summer rec program. I got to play at halftime of a polio benefit basketball game when I was in junior High. So when we moved to Iowa and found that they actually had sports programs for adults I was thrilled. We played church softball and volleyball and were terrible. But it was such fun! I always swore I was going to play until I was at least 87. Well, I haven't quite made it to that age yet and we played yet again this weekend. Kickball no less. I can't even tell you how sore I am. My arms hurt, my legs hurt...and more parts that I didn't know I had hurt too. Still, it was lots of fun. I'm thinking I should re-think the 87 part. At least I didn't end up with a single black and blue mark. I even scored a run!!

3 comments:

Mr.Brian said...

Guess I should have gone.Sounds like a good time.

Lady L said...

It was fun, wasn't it! Even though we have sore muscles, it was worth it!
Maybe we should have a game with just people our age - wouldn't that be a sight to see! We might be pretty good - at least for a laugh or two.

Beckyb said...

I was proud of you both - and where was I - well taking it all in, of course!!!! I would MUCH rather watch than play!!!