Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Reviewing notes


I am a note taker. I have at least a dozen notebooks full of sermon notes! I feel pretty confident that if someone were to ask me to give a sermon, I could give someone else's without too much problem. (that is after I got over the petrifying fear of being in front of someone to speak!) But this summer while we were in Minnesota I heard the best idea ever for use of sermon notes! (and no, it's not as wrapping paper or wallpaper either) This sermon was called "Laying the Foundation for lasting change" and it was taken from Lk. 8:4-12, and Mt 7:24-27. (see, I told you I have really good notes) Without going over the whole thing, his basic idea was this: We need to be Doers not Hearers only. The difference between the man who built his house on a rock and the the one who built on the sand was not the foundation they built on, but that the wise man in particular took action on what he knew to be true. He offered this suggestion: We need to apply what we know. We need more than exposure to the word, more than just accumulation of more knowledge. Here's how to "DO" a sermon-

1. On Monday and Tuesday, with your spouse, friend, brother, review, discuss, lay open the text of the scripture used in the sermon and the basic points of the message.

2. On Wednesday and Thursday discuss how this sermon and thus the scripture can be applied to daily life. What practical steps can I take to actually implement what i heard on Sunday? How has this, or will it bring about change im my life?

3. On Friday and Saturday- Act. Then share with said friend, spouse, brother about that action and how it was applied. (or the lack of it)

There should be on going discussions and actions about all that's being heard in order to keep it out of the realm of religious duty. I must respond to God's word and that involves action.

Do I really believe that obeying God is my best choice? If I don't value God's word above all else, trust His wisdom and goodness, I won't obey. So. That's what I've been up to lately. It has been powerfully challenging! Today I was challenged to act in courage despite my fear and i actually had a successful opportunity to do just that. I was amazed at how God worked! Let the wind of the Spirit continue to blow...

1 comment:

Lady L said...

Wow! I'm glad to hear God gave you courage today over the fear and you were able to put it into action. (Even two days before the Fri-Sat. act part.) Thanks for sharing your sermon notes.