Monday, October 22, 2007

Dream Home Pt. 3


So after living in our country home for about a year, we began the remodelling. This, folks, was where I learned everything I need to know in life about tools....from sheetrocking screws to skill saws, to crescent wrenches, I could hand every single one of them to my he-man carpenter before he even knew what he wanted. (think surgical nurse to surgeon) Point to a tool and I know its name. We painted, wall papered, ripped off walls and ceilings, insulated, re wired, plummed, shingled, installed, built, and added on. After 20 years of that, and of hearing "Oh, should only take a week or so to do that" (multiply by at least 3) or "I can do that...fix that...put that in" my local carpenter was ready to build his own house. And his full grown family was elected to help. So we left a house that was completely remodelled, replummed, wired, with new kitchen, bath, windows and went off on a tangent that we mistakenly thought was better. Let me tell you, building a house is better left to someone else. You come in when it's all said and done.

1 comment:

Lady L said...

Hmmmm..... but no doubt you did save a lot of money by doing it youself - as long as it was done right. Knowing Ron, it was most likely done right! There are some advantages to having a handy man around the house!