Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Stories my mother told me


My mother was working with the men long before it was fashionable. Driving the tractors, working in the fields (even I had to do that. I had to scramble for excuses. There were a few. ) Every hand was important! So she worked at a part time job in town AND some of the farming back in those 50's and 60's when most women were worrying about teas, and fashion and chatting across the back fence. But women's lib hadn't happened and I think she got taken advantage of more than once! Like the time she was hauling the grain into town and had to wait in a long line to get her truck unloaded. By the time she got back to the place she'd been hauling from all the guys were gone!! (read everyone but her) They'd left for lunch. Without her. Seems no one thought a mere grain hauling, truck driving woman might need to eat to. Well, she could probably fix it herself.... Still, I would have thought chivalry wouldn't have been quite dead yet.

No comments: