Friday, October 24, 2008

Computer "expertise"

I have been helping the library in Le Mars nickle and dime itself to death here lately. Most of it centers around the computer(s). I have enough knowledge to be really really dangerous. Today proved it. And I was mortified....embarrassed....and pretty depressed over the whole thing. Remember my problem with the linux system? It seems that I was not the only one who hates it. No one who uses our public computers likes the fact that we don't have Word on any of those computers. They are all stuck with open office... a linux open source software. Supposedly it's compatible to Word but first you have to figure the whole thing out. If you're dashing into the library to type off a document who wants to figure that our first? Anyway, I digress. Today I took 2 windows XP small business cds and proceeded to install them on all the public access computers. After figuring out that I had to turn off the Centurion Guard (I could install till the cows come home and as soon as I shut off the computer it goes right back to pre installation configuration because of that cool program.) what I thought was Word, Excel, Outlook, Publisher onto the computer turned out to be something totally different on one of the computers. Not only did it not have those programs, but because Centurion Guard wasn't on, it wiped EVERYTHING CLEAN! No internet, no Centurion Guard, nothing. Nada. It was all gone. Wow! did I ever do a great job...or not. So, hat in hand, it was back to the tech guy. I think he loves me. Now he really knows how much I don't know. This is so humiliating. I have given him more business in the last week than the library did in a whole month before I got there. It took him two hours to fix what I did in less than 15 minutes. And it cost me $70 to get it done to boot. Good grief. I see my upgrade of the catlog system leaking out the doors at this rate. What a deal! Hopefully I will stop messing around with all the computers now. Leave well enough alone. Oh, and by the way, the other 4 computers that I used the other disc on loaded the small business components just fine. All the public computers now have the Word products on. Small triumph.

1 comment:

Amy A. said...

Oh, dear. What a humbling day. I guess that's why the IT guys make the big bucks!