Sunday, October 19, 2008

A Day of Rest

I did get a nap in today. About 1/2 hour's worth. But the day was crammed fulled of all things church. Unreasonably, it can make me cranky. Two services, after church serving of a meal, a 4 o'clock meeting about the Christmas project, then the quarterly business meeting. I'm so glad this doesn't happen too often. I'm too much about just having the day to do what I WANT, not what's important for God's kingdom. One of the best sermons I've heard on the subject of a "day of rest" centered on how important it is for us to be restful in the sense that we aren't doing the things that we want and that are just about us, but rather its about those things we 'do' on this day that reflect our honor of God. I've spent 38 years of Sundays worrying about how I get enough time just for me. I've concentrated on Playing, or shopping,sleeping or eating ... whatever is best for me, rather than what promotes HIS kingdom. So, not that my nap is wrong, or even my desire to catch up on things I've ignored at home it's that I shouldn't resent the pull on my time from the Spirit's direction....

1 comment:

Lady L said...

Interesting you write about a day of rest. That is the topic for the next Sunday school..I am counting on you to say something! Or, I could print what you wrote and take that! Hmmm.....