Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Blue Like Jazz


I have a hard time reading some Christian literature..fiction especially. I hate flat characters, or maybe more importantly, characters who act better than I ever even think about. But I heard rumors about a book that I thought I would give a chance. And it's not even fiction (my favorite kind) It's Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller. I read the first paragraph and I was hooked. I tried reading it out loud today. Twice. Both times I had to stop as my voice got caught up somewhere in my throat, and all of a sudden there were tears. Hate that.

Beginnings

God on a dirt road walking toward me

I once listened to an Indian on Televsion say that God was in the wind and the water, and I wondered at how beautiful that was because it meant you could swim in Him or have Him brush your face in a breeze. I am early in my story, but I believe I will stretch out into eternity, and in heaven I will reflect upon these early days, these days when it seemed God was down a dirt road, walking toward me. Years ago He was a swinging speck in the distance; now He is close enough I can hear His singing. Soon I will see the lines on His face.



Maybe it's because I'm older now, and I know just exactly what Miller means by these lines. It seems that God is coming into focus more and more every day. He seems more real to me and the more real I am about who i am the clearer I have been able to see Him. It brings joy and peace and a sense of comfort to my life when sometimes I feel the struggle mightily.

There will be more here later. For it has given me lots to think about and I'd really like to talk to y'all about this.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Sue! if you can get through Blue Like Jazz... Don has written two more after that. the next one is Searching for God Knows What... my personal favorite. I actually know Don Miller. He writes like he talks and lives it too. Amy gave me your blog address. I am excited to keep up! :-)

Anonymous said...

talk on.

Sue said...

Melissa!! Wow it's so fun to hear from you. And just think...even in Germany you can still ...well, that's silly. Of course you can. I think I need a trip to Portland. I would love to meet this guy. He must be about your age? or a bit older I guess. Thanks for the tip on the next book for me to read! I will exert some influence at the library to get hold of it!