Wednesday, March 28, 2007

ABJECT Fear


From the moment we are born we are dying. Everyone of us. And none of us gets out of this life alive. At least that's what they tell me. We are a culture that ignores, avoids, and even covers up death. We celebrate youth. We hide our old away in nursing homes and hope they have the dignity not to bother us. I am ashamed. My friend in Arizona was diagnosed with stage 3 ovarian cancer. Since I'm not too intuned to death, disease or cancer I only have a vague idea that this isn't good. But I think to myself, "She's down there anyway". I had a terrible dreams and struggles when we visited in January. What should I tell her? How should I share about her one and only hope? I was in agony. But, I was able to keep my mouth shut and not ask any questions that would probe too deeply or wander too far into the spiritual. I was worried about embarrassing her or myself . Never mind that I know she is not a christian. Then today we get the news that a co worker of Ron's wife was diagnosed with terminal cancer. (funny to say it that way. We all have terminal something. It's in everyone's future) But as horrible as dying young of a cancer is how much worse to die and not have found or heard about the gift. Life. Eternal. That thing that I have spent 30 plus years giving at least lip service to. I proclaim myself to be a 'believer'. But this. It will prove whether I can really trust what God is saying to me in such practical terms that there will be no going back. What's worse, Though I know I can't avoid going and sharing, I am terrified. I must do this. I can't do this. What if... well, But it is a matter of trust.

3 comments:

Mr.Brian said...

Yes that is a VERY tough one.I guess for me I asume and just take for granted the residents are all Christians.I often with just talk to them about the wonderful place God has prepared for them and who good it will be to see there loved ones again.And when the end is very obvious and near I just stroke there cheek or head and say go home it is okay go how now.
As hard as it is to say goodbye to some of these residents, I am so happy to know they are going to a much better place.
Sometime we think others may not know the Lord but maybe they it is just that it is a very private thing to them.We can only pray that someone or something opens her heart.You never know Sue maybe God is preparing you to have that talk. Good luck and just keep praying for her.

Unknown said...

Hey Sue, I am praying for you. I personally know that the more times I open my mouth and offer the hope of eternal life to someone... the easier it gets to share it more. I often think... I do not know where in the chain of their coming to know Christ I am... but I want to be a good link in that chain. I could be the beginning link... where they have never thought about it... or I could be a middle link...where they have thought a lot about it because others said something....or I could be the final link...the one that gets to take them directly to the heart of Jesus. All links are important

Anonymous said...

I used to think the book of Ecclesiastes was just plain depressing. However, I've come to see it is much more than that. Ecc 7:1,2 A good name is better than fine perfume, and the day of death better than the day of birth. It is better to go to a house of mourning that to go to a house of feasting, for death is the destiny of every man; the living should take this to heart.