Friday, March 30, 2007

Baseball and Horses


So this story has to be one of my favorites. For one thing, it helps me remember the mind of a junior highschool age kid. They don't know why they do things the way they do sometimes.


One beautiful summer day my girlfriend and I decided to ride our horses into town (pop. 300 maybe) Other kids in town always looked at us in awe when we were on the horses! (after all they couldn't even own a horse in town!) That was probably the best part of the ride. Creating jealousy wherever we went! It was perhaps a 1/2 hour ride into town and then after spending another 1/2 hour showing off ,someone invited us to come play baseball with them. Next to horses, baseball was my absolute favorite thing to do! (I won't go into the details of how sorry I often felt for myself that I was a girl and so couldn't actually play on a "real" team.) So we tied our horses up and walked to the ball field. ( I should add here that the baseball field was probably 6-10 blocks away from where we tied our horses. And that our hitching post was someone's-read someone unknown to us-back porch wrought iron railing) It was a grand game! Until someone came running out to the field yelling at me "Hey! Are you the guys with the horses? Well they're loose!" Sure enough. We found my horse at least, running through the streets still tied to his railing, dragging it along behind him!


My father paid for the damages and we were both forbidden to EVER ride into town again. I was lucky I didn't have to somehow come up with the money myself. The privelege of riding into town was a sad loss, too. It of course, creates more problems down the road.

1 comment:

Mr.Brian said...

Sue, I am finding out there is an other side to you none of us knew about. I am thinking you may have been a bit of a stinker!!!! I love it!!!