Saturday, March 10, 2007

I hear spring


The snow in our backyard hides the truth: Spring is almost here! I feel like Edmund in the Lion,the witch and the wardrobe when he suddenly notices spring:


"The sky became bluer and bluer, and now there were white clouds hurrying across it from time to time. In th wide glades there were primroses. A light breeze sprang up which scattered drops of moisture from the swaying branches and carried cool delicious scents against the faces of the travelers. The trees began to come fully alive. The larches and birches were covered with green, the laburnums with gold. Soon the beech trees had put forth their delicate transparent leaves. “This is no thaw”…” This is spring! What are we to do? Your winter has been destroyed, I tell you! This is Aslan’s doing."


It's true here, too! I notice it all around me despite the huge piles of snow! Water running everywhere, kids out riding bikes without their coats on, Walkers are everywhere. The car wash has a long line. The cardinal is singing to beat the band in the tops of the trees. I need to see a robin yet, but it doesn't matter if he's here or not. This feels like the real deal! Ron spent the better part of the afternoon sitting on our back deck in a spot that isn't dripping. Buster lay in the sun in the front room. We washed the truck and Amy's car, and scraped the last of the ice off our stoop. Tonight we'll fire up the grill!

2 comments:

Mr.Brian said...

I've been watching for the first robin too, let us know when you see it.And a picture for proof to please.LOLOLOL

Beckyb said...

Hmmm - all while someone was working - :) I am so glad you enjoyed your day!!! I did enjoy it later because during my walk home (yes, I said WALK) - I smelled Spring everywhere!!