Friday, September 28, 2007

on Being unobservant


If I ever needed to identify a thief, recall anything unusual from two days ago, or identify a friend's car in the dark as it's aiming for me I would fail miserably! I tend to be pretty self absorbed, unfortunately. Want to know what that person's name was that I just checked out at the library. She's been coming in on a regular basis since I started working there. Introduce myself to someone 'new' at church only to discover they've been attending longer than I have. Notice that someone is upset? probably not. How does one change this sort of behavior and become more attuned to what's happening in and with the people around you? How does one start noticing the details of a person's being so you can sense their feelings? I am able to identify many birds just from their song, but not pick up on the most obvious of body language, or see that my friend has just pulled up beside me until she stands in my face. Yikes.

1 comment:

Lady L said...

It happens to all of us from time to time!