Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Knowing the Will of God



I have been reading an interesting book by an author I think highly of- Gerald Sittser. It's called "The Will of God as a Way of Life" Too bad the book isn't mine, I could underline to my heart's content, but this way I have to take notes...and remember. What is the Will of God? How can I know it and do it? I remember having many heart felt serious discussions with a family member who was agonizing over what the will of God was. And this person needed to know NOW! I remember stumbling and fumbling around with my advice not wanting my words to get in te way of what might really be God's will. But I asked, Well, suppose you do XYZ. And it turns out that wasn't really God's Will. Do you think that that will be the end of all possibility of God ever being able to use you again? It can't happen! And here I come to this book and find an even easier answer. Sittser says that the only time we really have to know and do God's will is the present moment. That involves doing what He clearly commands: Loving God with heart, soul, mind and strength and our neighbors as ourselves. So then, whatever choices or plans we pursue...and there are many of those-it will be His will because we have surrendered our lives to Jesus Christ and follow Him alone. Wow! How incredibly important, then, to have developed habits that build up that spiritual life in us! What incredible importance then, that our 'ambitions' not crowd out what is truly important. That the busyness of our lives not shove out habits of quietness and listening (to those who know and love us most)

No comments: