Friday, September 26, 2008

where was the camera?

I have said many times in response to someone's , "don't forget your camera", "Would I forget my arm? At my recent stay with the two boys in SF I did indeed remember my camera. I even got some great shots of them in their PJs, playing indoors, racing and squabbles. But we went out to the playground this morning and I walked over with them without the camera. In fact, I did everything with them today without even thinking about my camera. While I was sitting at the park with them, as they dug in the sand, swang, ran on the equipment, slid down the slides on the most perfect of fall mornings I thought, Oh no. I don't have the camera. I missed some perfect shots: The two boys, backs toward me, heads together, Sunlight highlighting Phin's gold curls, and Isaiahs' long legs, digging in the sand; or Phin's first brave slide down the twisty tunnel slide, his grin as wide and bright as the morning; their rolling, running laughing joy as they raced through the field in front of the park. I decided these were the pictures that were going to have to stay firmly in my memory instead of on the computer or the printed copy. Every precious second of these boys joy I would have to capture in my mind's eye.
They are the best pictures I've ever taken.

1 comment:

Amy A. said...

Way to be in the moment!