Sunday, January 7, 2007

Traveling light

I, as most of my community, family and friends would agree, am not a rich person. That, of course is all relative. Not rich by American standards anyway. But I have so much "stuff" I could supply a third world country with their basic needs just from my own personal second hand store-i.e. the things I use for camping! It embarrasses me to see my pile of camping towels, sleeping bags, cookware, seating, games, shoes, hats, and other gear. What I need to do is go back to basics...tent camping. I don't need all this to really enjoy the outdoors. In fact, if I didn't have to haul all this along I'd probably go more often.
Which seems to lead into something I've been thinking about for quite some time anyway-the "Traveling light" through this world I live in. What is the "stuff" that I have that keeps me from giving myself over to following hard after God? What is it that weighs me down - my own self centeredness that keeps me on payment plans for some new, bigger, brighter, better thing rather than throwing it all into serving. So many needs. Well, let's not get carried away. If I only worked on following God into one area of need I'd be doing better than I am right now.
So Goal 1 for 2007: Drop some of my load. Go light so I can serve better.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks like you have been doing some contemplation and reflection. I interpret your thoughts as focusing your time, efforts, and resources on the things that count. I hope that you succeed in your New Year's goal! Is there accountability involved in this?

Beckyb said...

That is incredibly insightful - Wish I could say I thought of it, but since I didn't - I'll just take it as God prompting me to work on that as well!! I need a good shift in focus.

Mr.Brian said...

Goodness, this makes us stop and think about things.
How true that we let clutter take up our time. I hope I can try to focus on what is important.
Thanks for sharing.