Friday, March 2, 2007

Still winter



Wow! A whole day spent just reading, writing, sleeping. I have nothing to complain about. I am reading "The Children's Blizzard" by Laskin. Very appropriate for this particular time of year. I surely have nothing to complain about. On the prairies at the end of the 19th century there was nothing to stop a blizzard and nothing did. It seems every year they had vicious blizzards that killed livestock and left people weakened and starving. A quote from the book that struck me was " God punished the Egyptians with ten plagues but He punished the settlers of the plain states with just three: fire, weather and grasshoppers." The weather on the Dakotas and in Nebraska was more violent than any these immigrants had known in Europe. It's amazing anyone stayed to settle the area at all! So, Like I said. I had not much to complain about except being inconvenienced. (Heaven help inconveniences in this day and age) Tomorrow we'll be back to normal, i expect. We probably won't have long to wait before the snow goes. We'll be sighting robins soon.

2 comments:

Beckyb said...

Hey - that's about what I did today too - except I read The Veil of Roses. I am liking that one but hurrying so the next lucky gal can read it!!! :)

Mr.Brian said...

I think after this storm most people are ready for a sighting of a robin. I know I am. and I am a lover of snow too.