Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Seasons of Life





Every season of the year has its own rewards. At one point I identified fall as my favorite, while acknowledging the benefits of all the others! Really! How could one pick any one season as the best anyway? Who was to know that I would come to the point where I would see clearly that my own life is a passing through seasons. Each one holding its own color and vibrancy, and its own unique life-from my youth to this time i'm in now, I need to live in the season, rather than fight it or mourn the loss of the season just past. It's true there are many things that I won't ever get to do again: I probably won't water ski again; I might not get to ride a horse, or climb any more trees. The active sports like baseball and volleyball seem to be done too. But, Hey! This lovely season that I'm in now seems to have multitudes of blessings: holding grandchildren, playing catch, watching them explore the new world around them. And my own 'going' hasn't seemed to dim these past few years. I'm able to travel and camp and bike and walk and work at a job that I love; cook, entertain, make new friends and connect with old ones, boss a husband about.... It's like a beautiful autumn with its riot of colors and penchant for perfect blue skies and crisp days. My favorite season of all.
I do worry at times about what the future holds, don't we all at some point? but as my mother in law used to say, "but I know who holds the future".
"Behold, you have made my days a few handbreadths, and my lifetime is as nothing before you.Surely all mankind stands as a mere breath!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

how true, how true!