Friday, February 8, 2008

TECH Free night


Yesterday I didn't touch the computer (to blog or check my email or play games, etc. I was on it at work) nor did I have the TV on even once all day long. Wow! Was that a switch. Many years ago, when our kids were young we didn't even have a tv let along a computer and I managed to survive for a couple of years quite nicely, thank you very much. So this shouldn't be such a big deal, really. And I didn't really miss anything as it turned out. To say that there is nothing good for programming on TV right now is an understatement, but watching it every evening is a pretty big habit. So what did we DO with our spare time? Wow! We ate supper together at the table. We sat in the living room and talked. Then we both read our novels. (now I'm a reader anyway, and I usually squeeze that in between fixing supper and work but for Ron- well, he just doesn't.) We cleaned up the basement, worked on bills, and I finished getting stuff organized for my trip. It was a very pleasant evening and I think we'll make this more of a habit. A "One-Night-A-Week-TV-Computer-Free-evening" You might find us doing more amazing stuff. Like going to visit neighbors. Taking walks. Radical.

3 comments:

Mr.Brian said...

Good for you, sounds like a good chalenge for me as well.
However not sure I want to rush into that.

Anonymous said...

Imagine this... On your tv free night, you are walking by my house, and it is sunny and warm and I invite you for a glass of iced tea on my patio!

Can you tell I'm ready for spring?

Anonymous said...

nate and i have decided to change some of our t.v. viewing habits, too. we are trying to only watch family-friendly fare. why do we need to watch violence, sex and other things on television shows that we would be uncomfortable watching with the boys? if we don't want them to see it, then we have to be careful of why we are letting ourselves see it. so, our favorite shows are now going to have writers again and it will become a bit tougher. it was pretty easy to stay awawy from our favorites since there weren't any new shows on lately. how many years ago did we not even have a t.v. in american households at all? they survived just fine, I'm told......