Monday, June 30, 2008

Fire in Downtown Orange City Destroys Three Stores

I worked at Hannah's Hallmark in the photolab for two years before I got back to the library. I counted it as a time to be humbled, to learn something new, and be glad for the library again! It was with absolute horror then, when we watched it burn to nothing last night. That along with two other stores in downtown Orange City. It is hard on a community to lose places like this. And i was just in there on Saturday to pick up some pictures. I looked around at their sales to see if I could find anything neat for my daughter-in-law's birthday. I found bunches of stuff, but decided I'd wait til it was a bit closer to her birthday. Now I won't have that chance. We spent 4 hours up there lastnight with the whole community watching 7 fire departments fight the fire. It was almost like a carnival...kids playing in water, people taking pictures everywhere (including me) families out on their bikes, walking their dogs, sitting in lawn chairs...It was really eerie. S0here are a few of the shots I got:

Oh yes, we had the grand kids this weekend too. They just missed all this. Pictures of them to come, too.

2 comments:

Mr.Brian said...

A huge loss to our down town.

Lady L said...

You captured some great pictures of this disastrous fire.